Springtime brings fun in the sun, blooming flowers, and fresh air — but also a few things to watch out for. From pesky bugs to springtime decor, keep an eye out for these common items that could be dangerous to your pet. Outdoor Hazards After a long winter cooped up indoors, it’s nice to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. But before you head out with your dog or cat, beware of the following that could harm your pet. • Flowers — Some spring flowers are toxic to pets, like azaleas, daffodils, and lilies. Whether they’re blooming outdoors or displayed in a vase in your home, be sure to keep your dog or cat away from them. • Bugs — Fleas, ticks, and heartworms all become more prevalent as the weather gets warmer. Be sure your pet is on a year-round medication to prevent flea- and tick-borne illnesses and heartworm disease. Talk to a veterinarian for the best recommendation for your pet. • Gardening supplies — Fertilizer, herbicides, and insecticides can be toxic to pets. Always be sure these are kept out of paw’s reach. Indoor Dangers You might be surprised to know what’s lurking around the house that could be dangerous to your pet. • Springtime decor and candy — Make sure your pet can’t get into Easter grass or small plastic eggs, which can cause intestinal blockages or be a choking hazard. Also keep candy out of reach, especially chocolate and sugar-free candies that contain xylitol. This substance is highly toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure, seizures, and even death. • Cleaning supplies — When spring cleaning kicks into high gear, it’s normal to have cleaning supplies at hand as you clean your house. Keep these out of reach, even if the products are all natural. They could contain irritants or dyes that could harm your pet. • Window and door screens — Check the screens in your windows and doors to be sure they’re securely in place and don’t have any holes. Pets could accidentally jump or fall through an unsecure screen and injure themselves. Watching out for these dangers will help keep your pet safe and avoid a trip to the vet. But if your dog or cat does get into any of the items listed above or you notice vomiting, diarrhea, or seizures, contact a veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 immediately.